Howdy! I’m Becky Wade Firth (new last name!)—a runner, author, writer, food lover, and traveler based in Boulder, Colorado.
Part of two sets of twins born 20 months apart, I grew up in Dallas, Texas, before making my way to Rice University on a track scholarship. There, alongside the world’s greatest teammates and coach, I fell in love with the distance running lifestyle: early nights, sunrise workouts, afternoon naps, ice baths, strength training, and cooking and sharing delicious food. By the time I graduated, I was an All-American in cross-country and track, and an Olympic Trials qualifier in the 10K and 3K steeplechase.
Instead of jumping straight into the post-collegiate running ranks, I accepted a Watson Fellowship and spent a year exploring the ways that runners from wildly different cultures live and train. From Switzerland to Ethiopia, New Zealand to Japan, it was a solo, 12-month, 22-country deep dive into some of the world’s most fascinating running traditions. In 2016, this travel blog morphed into my book RUN THE WORLD.
Since then, I’ve moved up to the marathon, signed with Flynn Sports Management, relocated to Boulder, and gotten married. As I chase more opportunities to represent the USA on a global stage, I’m still seeking ways to optimize my lifestyle for performance, longevity, and connection. Thanks for joining me!
- Marathon- 2:30:41 (2013)
- Half Marathon- 1:09:40 (2020)
- 10,000m- 32:32.85 (2016)
- 3,000m Steeplechase- 9:48.04 (2012)
- Shot Put- 4.58m (2012)
- 4 x Olympic Trials participant (3K steeplechase, 2012 and 2016; marathon, 2016 and 2020)
- 4 x NCAA Division I All-American (2008-2012)
- 2 x Team USA member (2008 World Junior Track and Field Championships, 2018 World Half Marathon Championships)
- U.S. Junior National Champion (3K steeplechase, 2008)
- Top 10 in 4 marathons, including 2013 California International Marathon (1st), 2017 Houston Marathon (3rd), and 2017 Chicago Marathon (10th)